Goodafternoon sweet souls, wherever you are in this magnificent world. I’m sorry that I have been a little M.I.A due to the joys of work and our latest IVF adventure (pop over to IG as I save it all under my “IVF” highlights). We recently popped into Farmer’s Markets on Manning on the weekend whilst we were in Perth- probably my most favourite farmer’s market to visit when we have a free Saturday morning. As usual, we stocked on a lovely range of locally-grown, organic and farm-fresh fruit and vegetables. We found a fresh kohlrabi which I have never eaten in my life and I am still trying to figure out what to do with it. I also picked up a bunch of beautiful baby carrots and decided to recreate a pasta dish I made awhile ago.
As most of you know I cannot stand food wastage and love utilising what I can of a fruit or vegetable rather then simply discarding or composting it. I’d love to share with our beloved chooks but it seems they only enjoy watermelon, banana and broccoli if I chop it all up finely! This dish uses the entire bunch of carrots which I love.
Because the carrots are young and organic, I didn’t have to peel them so I simply washed them and threw them into a baking tray with a delicious marinade to roast. The carrot tops were washed thoroughly and blitzed into a delicious pesto with hemp seeds, cashews, good quality extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice. The result was a humble, cheap and nourishing plantbased meal.
1 large bunch organic baby carrots
Pasta of choice to serve four- I used an organic buckwheat spiral pasta
Fresh parsley to serve (optional)
Nutritional yeast to serve
1/4 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSP organic maple syrup
1 tsp organic chilli flakes (optional)
Pinch of salt flakes
1 bunch carrot tops
3-4 cloves of garlic
2 TBSP hulled hemp seeds
1/2 cup organic activated cashews
Juice of half a lemon
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
Pinch of salt flakes
Enough water to thin pesto to desired consistency
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Seperate your carrot bulbs from the green leafy foliage. Give them both a thorough wash to remove excess dirt. (‘Cause nobody likes the gritty texture of dirt…)
- Prepare the olive oil and maple syrup marinade in a bowl and set aside. Place the carrots in a baking tray and coat generously with the the marinade. Bake for 40 minutes until the carrots are soft on the inside.
- Meanwhile, add the pesto ingredients into your blender and blitz until your desired pesto consistency, adding enough water gradually.
- Cook the pasta as per instructions.
- Drain the pasta, reserving 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid. Toss the pesto and cooking liquid through the pasta until well coated.
- Top with the roasted carrots, fresh herbs and nutritional yeast.
This meal looks a little fancy but is rather simple isn’t it? As usual, let me know if you create this dish!
“He who angers you, conquers you.” –Elizabeth Kenny.