My oh my, the weather is slowly but surely warming up. I cannot believe that it is four more sleeps until Christmas! Hubby and I are keeping it low-key this year as I live so far away from my family and his parents are going away. I recently made these stuffed portobello mushrooms with homemade hummus and they were so delicious so I thought I would post them on the blog to share.
Although these baked mushrooms were the main aspect of my dinner, they would also make a wonderful side dish for any occasion including Christmas lunch/ dinner! Thanks to the hummus, they make a wonderful source of protein, healthy fats from the olive oil and tahini and when served with a grain or root vegetable, make a complete meal loaded with the necessary macro and micronutrients. Also, a little tip is to place your fresh mushrooms in some sunlight as it absorbs the vitamin D that you will absorb during digestion!
6 medium- large portobello mushrooms
Extra virgin olive oil to drizzle
Balsamic vinegar to drizzle
1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
2 garlic cloves
2 TBSP unhulled tahini
1 tspn cumin seeds
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt & pepper to taste
- In a blender, add the chickpeas, shallots, garlic, tahini, cumin seeds and olive oil. Blend until smooth. Add filtered water to get to your desired consistency. You don’t want the hummus too thin- you want to be able to stuff the mushrooms without it runnings over the sides of the mushrooms.
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- Peel the mushrooms if required. I usually keep the skin on if the mushrooms are organic. There is no need to cut the core out of the mushrooms. Place the mushrooms on a baking tray.
- Using a teaspoon, stuff the mushrooms neatly. When you have stuffed all the mushrooms, drizzle them with a generous amount of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Bake the mushrooms for 30 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite roast vegetable or salad. Enjoy!
I hope your Summer (or Winter in the northern hemisphere is full of joy at this time of the year. Have a safe and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
“When you own your breathe, nobody can steal your peace.”- Anonymous.