I must admit that it has beens years since I attempted making shortcrust pastry. Well before my plant-based lifestyle in fact. I decided to create a pastry using wholemeal spelt flour and coconut oil and it turned out flakey and crispy just like I intended! The filling for this tart was a creamy chickpea base filled with wholesome organic English spinach leaves and topped with macadamia “feta” and sweet roasted beets.
The ingredients in this tart are quite simple despite the fact that homemade tarts can be quite fiddly and time-consuming. This tart took less than an hour precisely and the ingredient list is rather simpler than you think as long as you have the basics of wholemeal flour, coconut oil and chickpeas! I used organic spinach in the filling however I think it would be perfect with kale or broccoli too.
2 cups organic wholemeal spelt flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp dried basil/oregano/thyme (optional)
Half a cup of softened organic coconut oil
1 cup cold water
2.5 cups cooked chickpeas
1 cup plant-based milk
1/3 cup nutritional yeast
1 TSPN ground cumin
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup chopped fresh spinach
1/3 cup macadamia feta or vegan cheese of choice
3-4 organic beetroots, washed, peeled and cut into wedges
1 TBSP good quality olive oil
Fresh parsley to serve
- In a bowl, add the flour, salt and dried herbs and mix well.
2. Add the coconut oil and gently mix it into the dried ingredients with your fingertips. Once you get a crumbled texture, slowly add the water until you get a rough dough (see pic). Cover and leave for 30 minutes.
3. Preheat the oven to 190C. Roll the dough into an even disc to fit a tart pan with a removable base. Transfer carefully to the pan and lightly flatten the pastry. Cut the excess overhanging the tin before baking for 15 minutes.
4. Place the beetroot wedges into an ovenproof pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper before roasting for 45-55 minutes.
5. Place the chopped spinach onto the base of the tart.
6. Blend the chickpeas, nutritional yeast, plant-based milk, cumin, salt and pepper until smooth. Top the spinach evenly with this mixture.
7. Top the tart with vegan cheese before baking for 30 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before removing the tart from the tin and slicing.
8 Serve with the roasted beetroot and extra organic vegetables. We served ours with lightly sautéed ginger and spinach. I totally recommend serving this with some organic ketchup!
❁ You may not require all the water for the pastry. Slowly add the water bit by bit as you mix the dough with your fingertips.
❁ Leftovers reheat well the next day. I have also frozen leftovers with intentions of reheating.
If you make this recipe, please let me know!
“I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be.”- Douglas Adams.