Pasta is a regular go-to dish in this household as it is quick and convenient. Gone are the days of fearing pasta and other carbohydrates! This organic spelt penne pasta with a lentil “meatball” passata is high in protein, complex carbohydrates as well as fibre.
I very often make up a batch of my lentil and beetroot falafels (recipe here) and freeze them for easy additions to meals. They came in handy for this easy lentil “meatball” pasta sauce with organic penne pasta, with this meal taking less than 20 minutes. Of course, you could easily substitute these falafels with tinned/ pre- cooked lentils or legume of choice.
1 packet of pasta of choice- I see organic penne
2 TSPN crushed garlic
1 TBSP organic tomato paste
1 jar of organic passata
2 stalks celery, diced
1 carrot, cubed
1/2 brown onion, sliced finely
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to season
1 TSPN dried basil
8-12 lentil and beetroot falafels*
1. Cook the pasta as per packet instructions
2. Sauté the garlic, tomato paste, carrot, celery and onion in olive oil until softened.
3. Add the jar of passata, dried basil as well as the salt and pepper.
4. Add the lentil and beetroot falafels and simmer until warmed through.
5. Too the pasta with pasta sauce. Top with nutritional yeast and fresh parsley.
❀Substitute the lentil and beetroot falafels with tinned or precooked lentils or other legumes. ❀Leftovers can be easily frozen for future meals
❀The entire meal can be made gluten free by utilising gluten free pasta. As usual, let me know if you make this recipe!
“Gratitude is the fairest blossom which springs from the soul.” – Henry Ward Beacher.