I had the privilege of finding the most stunning heirloom pumpkin and squash at the farmer’s markets on the weekend. Usually I would roast pumpkin in bulk and have it with my lunch or dinners but I decided to create something a little different this time. My curry obsession continues so I decided to stuff these little heirloom pumpkins. I absolutely recommend this dish!
Serves 4-5 depending on the number and size of the pumpkins
4-5 little heirloom pumpkins
3 cups cooked chickpeas- see notes
1 TBSP coconut oil
1/2 red onion
1 TSPN crushed garlic
1 small thumb ginger, julienned
1 TBSP curry powder- see notes
1 TBSP organic tomato paste
1 small organic carrot, sliced
1 chilli, chopped (optional)
3 kaffir lime leaves, sliced finely (optional)
1 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup vegetable stock
4 cups chopped sweet potato leaves/ spinach/kale
- Cut the top off the pumpkins (these will act as “lids”) and scoop out the contents, leaving a 1cm border. Be careful not to cut through the skin of the pumpkins. Drizzle with a little coconut oil and roast the entire pumpkin at 190C for 25 minutes.
- In a medium-sized pan, melt the coconut oil and add the curry powder, garlic, ginger, onion, tomato paste and chilli for two minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, carrots, coconut cream, vegetable stock and kaffir lime leaves and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and mix through the leafy greens so they do not overcook.
- Stuff each of the pumpkins with the chickpea curry. Top with the “lids” and bake for another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with extra greens and fresh herbs.
❊ You could substitute the pumpkins with potatoes, zucchini or tomatoes. Cooking times before filling with the curry would differ.
❊Substitute the chickpeas with other legumes if desired including cannellini beans, pinto beans, lentils or fava beans.
❊I soak and cook organic dried chickpeas. Simply soak dried chickpeas in filtered water and apple cider vinegar overnight. Rinse and cook in filtered water before draining and storing. Chickpeas freeze and defrost well.
❊Leftover curry can be frozen and served with other meals.
I hope you enjoy this recipe.
“An effort made for the happiness of others lifts above ourselves.” – Lydia M. Child.